News‎ > ‎

Meeting notes - Jan 17, 2017

posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:24 AM by Lyons Prepared   [ updated Jan 18, 2017, 9:25 AM ]

Agenda 

  1. Ken Feldman: Banner

  2. Emily / Joycelyn: structure and requirements


Next meeting: Tue, Feb 21, 2017, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p   

Upcoming meetings:

  • Tue, Mar 21, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

  • Tue, Apr 18, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

Minutes

Attendees

Ken, Gayle, Linda, Johanna Zeh (Sunship), Frank, Emily, Bryan, Aaron, Tosh, Jenni

Action items

Outstanding action items from previous meetings:

[  ] Emily - Review process for preferred staging areas for evacuations, getting information (Emily will discuss with Fire District). [The Chief and Emily need to get clearer about what they mean by a staging area.]

[  ] Emily - Talk to Lyons Fire Fund about being a fiscal sponsor for grants. [Emily: Lyons Fire Foundation is willing to do this for us; we’ll need to write an agreement with them about who’ll do what.]


New actions items from current meeting:

[  ] Joycelyn - Get the nonprofit application finalized.


Discussion

Ken and Gayle showed us the beautiful new banner. $115.

Led to a discussion about finances.

  • We need to figure out how to raise the money to pay for it.

  • Any time we want to buy something, we need to know how to pay for it before we move ahead.

  • Eventually, we’ll have a nonprofit structure and officers, which will help us apply for grants.

  • Emily and Joycelyn are co-chairs, Keith will be treasurer, Tosh will be secretary.

  • We can talk to the Community Foundation, to the Town of Lyons, and United Way Resiliency about grants.


Goals for 2017:

  • Communications with residents. Outreach events. Newspaper articles, Facebook posts. Offer trainings? We can ride of the coat tails of the OEM and BoCo Strong.

  • BoCo Strong has funded a resiliency effort with Longmont for outreach to the Hispanic community, and Martha, the person who will run that initiative, also intends to include the Lyons Hispanic community.

  • Continue to expand the radio network into more neighborhoods. Recruitment.

  • Having a radio means participating in training and attending at least some steering committee meetings, some level of responsibility.

  • Run another test/training scenario.

  • This is a long term effort.

  • We don’t need to be perfect, but we need to keep trying.

  • Have a scenario by next fall, September or October. Emily will design it.

  • Identify the scenario, and then identify how we’re going to do it.

  • Create another emergency preparedness pamphlet, perhaps related to a winter-type disaster event.

  • The OEM is doing an exercise in April. Could we be observers?

  • Mapping our radio capability.

  • Updating our base layer map.


Comments