News‎ > ‎

Meeting Notes-August 15, 2017

posted Aug 20, 2017, 7:18 PM by Sara Erickson   [ updated Aug 20, 2017, 7:21 PM ]

LYONS PREPARED MINUTES

8/15/2017


Members present:

Keith Roussil Frank Adams Jenni McDade

Tosh Golias Emily Gubler Gayle Gordon

Sara Erickson Bryan Roberts Joe Lampe


I. Announcements:

1.  Article: Jenni wrote an informational article regarding Lyons Prepared for the

Lyons Recorder to be published shortly. A group photo of members present was taken for the article.


            2.  New Designation for LP. Tosh reported on a meeting he and Emily had with Chief Hoffman. Great News! The Chief has decided to designate Lyons Prepared as a program of the Lyons Fire District. The Chief requested that we prepare a budget to submit to him. We will probably include printing costs and possibly the costs of the kits. Once it is official that LP is part of LFD, an article should be submitted to the media.


3.   Grants. Due LP inclusion in the Lyons Fire District, we can more easily apply for

grants with the Fire District as our sponsor. USgrants.org lists grants nationwide that are available. A member should review to see which grants would be appropriate for our group. We can now apply for Lyons Community Foundation grant, which is due in September.


II. Discussion Items:


  1. New Members. Guidelines for new members are coming. There will be a 4 month trial

period for any one who joins the steering committee. Guidelines include: Members need to come to at least half the meetings, have a calm demeanor during an emergency, participation in LP events such as scenario training.


  1. National Night Out was last Tuesday and Tosh represented LP. Turn-out was good.

Tosh met with a few people who expressed interest and invited them to come to a steering committee meeting. Tosh passed out eclipse glasses to people to came up to the table.


     3. Maps/Kits. Tosh is working on the maps for the kits. Tosh is adding lat/long/elevation for helicopter landing sites.


  1. GPS devices for kits: We are looking for recommendations for handheld

           GPS devices. The chief prefers these over cell phones. We need to discuss options for

           Ffnding appropriate “go” bags. Keith suggested dry bags like they sell at REI. Chief had

suggested military type go bags that pouches could be attached to if needed.

b .   Suggestions for contents of go bags should included: fire department contact list, steering committee contact list, incident command tree, first aid, CPR face masks, guidelines for purifying water, gloves, vest, house sign.  


Action item: Joe will research go bags: size,and the cost per bag. Probably the size of a school backpack is appropriate. He will look into dry bags.


4.   MERN (Mountain Emergency Radio Network): Keith shared MERN info. MERN received funding through BCAREs to purchase repeaters in Nederland, Allenspark and Gold HIll, The repeater in Allenspark was moved 4-5 months ago and now Lyons ham radios can connect, and we can now communicate with MERN operators in Allens Park and through them, Ned and Gold Hill.


5 Scenario: Dates for Scenario: Sat October 14, either from 8:00 a.m to 12:00 p.m. 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.


6. BOCOStrong: 9/28 at 2:00; Emily or Tosh will be presenting re Lyons Prepared to BoCO Strong.


7. Wildfire Partners. Last week Frank’s home was certified by Wildfire Partners. He recemmends as a good organization for homes in areas prone to wildfires. Frank suggested that LP should share that this service is available. (wildfire.www.partners.org) No charge to conduct an audit. They offer rebates up to $800 of cost of fire mitigation to home/property.


8. Joe Lampe. Joe lives in Stone Canyon and plans to join the Steering Committee as the Stone Canyon rep. Welcome back, Joe.


Action Item: Tosh to add Joe to LP Steering committee email list.


9.  Sandstone Concerts: Sara will set a table at Sandstone Concerts. Tosh will drop off materials at her house.


Next Meeting

September 19, 2017

6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

Fire Station No. 1


Comments