Mission · Emergency info · Preparedness · More

About us · Communication · News


Latest News

Meeting notes - July 18, 2017

posted Jul 20, 2017, 8:02 AM by Sara Erickson   [ updated Jul 20, 2017, 8:18 AM ]

Agenda 

  1. Tosh: Secretary position

  2. Tosh: Talk about the very visible (front top page Lyons Recorder) installation of water rescue stations installed in Pinewood Springs

  3. Update on Foothills United Way grant

  4. Emily: Training scenario date: October 14

  5. Emily: Kits

  6. Emily: ID cards

Next meeting: Tue, Aug 15, 2017, Fire Station 1, 6:30p - 8p   

Upcoming meetings:

  • Tue, Sep 19, Fire Station 1, 6:30p - 8p

  • Tue, Oct 17, Fire Station 1, 6:30p - 8p

Minutes

Attendees

Emily, Joycelyn, Keith, Aaron, Jenni, Linda, Sara, Brian, Tosh

Action items

Outstanding action items from previous meetings:

[  ] Emily - Print out identify areas where helicopters can land

[ x ] Emily - Set a date for the training scenario

 

New actions items from current meeting:

[  ] Jenni - Article for paper: We got our not for profit status with the state of Colorado.


Announcements

  • Sara has accepted the position of Secretary for LP.


Discussion

  • Water Rescue Stations:

    • Tosh shared an article in Lyons Recorder about Pine Wood Springs Water Rescue Stations.

    • A similar project for LP would benefit St. Vrain river safety and provide visibility for LP.

  • Sandstone Concerts Outreach Table:

    • Joycelyn will sit at the table at this week’s Sandstone Concerts.

    • She will try to make an announcement from the stage.

  • Grants:

    • Joycelyn shared update on Foothills United Way grant application. The announcement date for the award won’t be until around December.

    • Town of Lyons Goodwill Grant: Emily shared it is open and the deadline has been extended. A 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsorship is required.

  • Forming as a 501(c)(3):

    • The Fire District declined to act as fiscal sponsor for LP.

    • Keith shared that Bank of the West fees are too excessive. Then he went to Elevations in Credit Union. They could not find LP on the Colorado Secretary of State website; Joycelyn stated that it should be there. Elevations requires a 501(c)(3) status for a free checking account.

    • Keith suggested that we we take the steps required to become a 501(c)(3). Lyons Volunteers is one and Rebecca Louzan might be someone to consult regarding forming a 501(c)(3).

    • For 501(c)(3): Bylaws, officers and address are required. Lyons Fire District address can be used.

    • ACTION ITEM: Keith will research starting a 501(c)(3).

    • Joycelyn will send Keith the bylaws of the Lyons Garden Club.

    • Need to define membership, i.e. who has a vote. Emily thinks people who are points of contact should be voting members.

    • Need clear rules on how someone becomes a steering committee member and how someone leaves the steering committee.

  • High Water Initiative:

    • Aaron shared that the town is working on the issue.

    • A 4-year anniversary event will have columnar high water makers that will be placed in Meadow Park, Bohn Park and maybe Town Hall.

  • Kits:

    • LP scenario will be held October 14th.

    • Emily would like to have the kits ready by then.

    • Medical items in kits: gloves and CPR masks, BP cuff, stethoscope, spot, tourniquets, trauma sheets, basic gauze (4x4s), medical tape.

    • Other items in kits: bright container, flashlight, batteries, glow sticks, GPS, maps, org chart for Lyons Fire, contact names and info for Lyons Fire.

    • Gloves and CPR masks have already been donated.

    • Key items:  org chart, maps and contact names of Lyons Fire.

    • X-motion-gps maps or similar should be in kits and backup chargers should be part of kits.

    • By September 19th we will have the gloves and masks, maps, org chart and contact names.

    • Tosh and Aaron recommend that members take the FEMA ICS online training prior to the scenario. Link to the training: http://training.FEMA.gov/IS/courseoverview.aspx?code=IS-100.b

  • Lyons Fire/Lyons Prepared Training Scenario:

    • Is set for October 14, 2017.

    • There will be 5 neighborhoods participating: Longmont Dam Rd, LVP, Lyons Park Estates, Dakota Ridge and Apple Valley.

    • Participants will have ID cards with photo and qualifications listed on cards.

  • Sign-Ups for info on LP:

    • Jenny shared information on people who are interested in LP who filled out sign up sheets at the Sandstone Concerts.

    • She will send the names to Tosh who will send the names to the POC’s.

  • Newspaper article:

    • Jenny will prep a newspaper article to recruit volunteers to receive emergency info and share emergency info.

    • Three biggest unfilled POC’s are: X-Bar 7, Stone Canyon and Eagle Canyon.

    • Keeping LP visible is something we should continue to do. 

  

 

Meeting notes - Jun 20, 2017

posted Jun 25, 2017, 5:20 PM by Toshen Golias

Agenda 

  1. A quick presentation from Makenzie Boli about the City of Boulder’s resilient together project.

  2. Lyons Prepared leadership changes.

  3. Briefly discuss snow event.

  4. FEMA Individual and Community Preparedness award application.

  5. Discuss the John D. Solomon Whole Community Preparedness Award as an inspiration for our outreach activities.

  6. Keith: update on the Stone Canyon neighborhood.

 

Agenda items from canceled May meeting:

  • ID cards - Emily has confirmed that all Lyons Prepared members are going to get state ID cards (and they will be free to us). We'll need to provide a copy of our drivers licenses and have our photo taken.

    • Emily - Will email the group to schedule taking the photos.

    • Everyone - In addition, we should all provide a list of related qualifications.

  • Resiliency Grant - Joycelyn has suggested we discuss applying for a United Way Resiliency Grant. She thinks we'd have a good chance of receiving one of these "community friendly" grants.

  • Nonprofit application - Discuss whether we can figure out how to move the application forward.

  • Neighborhood preparedness kits - Figure out what items should be in them, prioritize these items, and start assembling the kits. Some ideas from Emily: Digital map, flashlight and batteries, GPS, small first aid kit, list of contact names, phone numbers, radio call signs of Lyons Fire people, organization chart, how-to sheets for radios and other things, glow sticks.

  • Training scenario - Begin organizing this year's training scenario, which will happen sometime in the Fall.

  • Community awareness raising - Do we want to plan to have a table at any upcoming events (where we could use our fantastic new banner)?

    • Everyone - Is anyone inspired to write an article for the newspapers? Other ideas?

 

Next meeting: Tue, Jul 18, 2017, Fire Station 1, 6:30p - 8p   

Upcoming meetings:

  • Tue, Aug 15, Fire Station 1, 6:30p - 8p

  • Tue, Sep 19, Fire Station 1, 6:30p - 8p

Minutes

Attendees

Emily, Joycelyn, Keith, Aaron, Jenni, Linda, Frank, Gayle, Johanna, Tosh

Action items

Outstanding action items from previous meetings:

[  ] Emily - Print out identify areas where helicopters can land

[ x ] Joycelyn - Talk to area 11. Didn’t work out.

We had CPR/First Aid training. Get together with Emily to talk about this.

[ x ] Aaron - Look into nonprofit application

[ x ] Tosh - Assist Aaron on nonprofit application as needed

 

New actions items from current meeting:

[  ] Emily - Get a thank you card for Keith

[  ] Emily - Set a date for the training scenario

[  ] Jenni - Article for paper: We got our not for profit status with the state of Colorado.

[  ] Name - Action

 

Discussion

  • Makenzie Boli about the City of Boulde’sr resilient together presented about Resilient Together. More information: http://www.resilienttogether.org/.

  • Lyons Prepared leadership changes.

    • Joycelyn is too busy, so she’s going to step down as co-chair, but still will participate as a neighborhood rep.

    • Tosh will step up as co-chair with Emily.

    • So we need a secretary. That’s open.

  • Aaron was successful in getting us our not-for-profit status with the state of Colorado. Thank you to Joycelyn for starting it and to Aaron for finishing it!

    • We can accept donations or grants up to 25,000 per year, as long as the donor or grantee doesn’t require 501(c)(3).

    • Donations to us aren’t tax deductible.

    • We have an responsibility to file an annual report, which will be the responsibility of Keith as our treasurer.

  • Keith: update on Stone Canyon.

    • Joe and Jill Lampe have volunteered to be the neighborhood point of contact. And they’re willing to attend meetings.

    • There’s also a ham radio operator who lives further up the canyon and is connected into BARC and is willing to help out.

    • Keith is moving into Town north, on 2nd Ave. Has easy access to Fire Station 1.

  • Snow event: Why didn’t we activate Lyons Prepared? 911 was functional, could drive in and out, still had cell service. Lyons Prepared can NOT create emergencies when there’s not one.

  • Sara completed and submitted our application for the FEMA Individual and Community Preparedness award. Thank you, Sara!

  • The John D. Solomon Whole Community Preparedness Award is named for the late creator of the groundbreaking blog, In Case of Emergency, Read Blog: A Citizen’s Eye View of Public Preparedness, http://incaseofemergencyblog.com/.

    • Mr. Solomon’s work was striking in its reporting, analysis, engagement, and impact in preparing the public, informing professionals, and bringing about change in both the public and private sectors. Mr. Solomon organized conferences, proposed legislation, posted interviews, evaluated how government and nongovernmental organizations were using social media tools, promoted others’ initiatives to policy makers, organized contests to foster citizen preparedness, and interviewed emergency management leaders.

  • BOCO Strong has asked Lyons Prepared to do a presentation at their Resiliency summit in September and to be on a panel discussion.

  • The ID cards projected has been postponed for a month, but it will happen.

  • Foothills United Way has resiliency grants. Grants are usually around $1500. Could be something like we want to use it for things like communications items, neighborhood kits.

    • Joycelyn will start working on the grants. Gayle and Jenni will assist.

  • Keith Ryen, who attended the first aid/CPR training with us, donated CPR masks and gloves to us for use.

  • Training scenario - Begin organizing this year's training scenario, which will happen sometime in the Fall. Some ideas from Emily:

    • Different (possibly more) Lyons Fire people involved.

    • Have the scenario happen in different and possibly more Lyons Prepared neighborhoods this year.

    • Have some Lyons Prepared people at the fire station as observers, possibly the people who experienced the scenario in their own neighborhood last year (Linda, Aaron, Tosh).

    • Joycelyn is willing to help Emily create the scenario.

  • We should all do the FEMA ICS basic training: https://training.fema.gov/is/courseoverview.aspx?code=IS-100.b

  • Community awareness. Do we want to commit to any outreach awareness events?

    • If people sign up, we have to get there names to the neighborhood POC.

    • National night out in early August. Tosh, Joycelyn are willing to help with that.

    • Sandstone concerts. Jenni is willing to do one.

    • Gayle and Ken have the banner.

    • Tosh has water packets.

    • Emily has flyers.

Meeting notes - Apr 18, 2017

posted May 1, 2017, 11:42 AM by Toshen Golias

Agenda (and discussion) 

  1. Go through outstanding action items from previous meeting.

  2. Emily: Reminder about CPR/First Aid class, May 21, 9a - 5p, Lyons Station 2

  3. Carry forward from previous meeting: Discuss what we want to do about the nonprofit app.

Aaron is willing to do some research to see what we need. He will contact Joycelyn. May be the difference between not-for-profit and nonprofit.

  1. Keith: Eagle Ridge neighborhood. Dayton Jones (Eagle Ridge) like to be involved with LP but our meetings conflict with his ham club meeting nights. He is enthusiastic about helping in any way he can and will be monitoring the MURS channels as well as 146.460 in an emergency. He has an excellent location for radio transmission and relay. Candidate for MURS handheld?

  2. Tosh: Lyons Fire Fund fiscal sponsorship. Emailed LFF a couple weeks ago with a suggestion and question about using a simple agreement since this will be a small issue (probably only one or two grants and a handful of donations per year). Received no reply, so a couple days ago, I emailed a draft agreement. No reply yet.

  3. Joanna: Discuss new member recruitment procedure.

The most important thing is to find people who want to be involved with Lyons Prepared. The radios are secondary.

  1. Joanna: Set up radio testing in the Beech Hill Valley, Buster Ranch and Sunship, Lonestar, and X Bar 7 and Blue Mountain Trail neighborhoods so we know where to recruit. See previous point.

  2. Discuss how we want to deal with financials. Wait until needed.

  3. Aaron: High-water mark project. Aaron is still keeping an eye on this. The town staff is still working on it.


Next meeting: Tue, May 16, 2017, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p   

Upcoming meetings:

  • Tue, Jun 20, Fire Station 2, 6:30p - 8p

  • Tue, Jul 18, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

Minutes

Attendees

Emily, Linda, Johanna, Aaron, Gayle, Tosh, Bryan

Action items

Outstanding action items from previous meetings:

[ x ] Emily - Send CPR email to Johanna and Neil, neil@stvrainmarket.com

[ x ] Tosh - Make an LP sign for Ken & Gayle

[ x ] Tosh - Add Neil to list

[ ^ ] Emily - Print out identify areas where helicopters can land

[  ] Joycelyn - Talk to area 11

[ x ] Keith - Will talk to Dayton on Eagle Ridge

[ ^ ] Emily - Article for paper


New actions items from current meeting:

[  ] Aaron - Look into nonprofit application

[  ] Tosh - Assist Aaron on nonprofit application as needed

Meeting notes - Mar 21, 2017

posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:27 AM by Toshen Golias

Agenda

  1. CPR and First Aid poll and details

  2. Lyons Siren test, Mon, Apr 3, 7p

  3. ID cards

  4. Staging areas


Next meeting: Tue, Apr 18, 2017, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p   

Upcoming meetings:

  • Tue, May 16, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

  • Tue, Jun 20, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

Minutes

Attendees

Neil Sullivan, Frank, Bryan, Jenni, Ken, Johanna, Linda, Emily, Sara, Tosh, Keit

Action items

New actions items from current meeting:

[  ] Emily - Send CPR email to Johanna and Neil, neil@stvrainmarket.com

[  ] Tosh - Make an LP sign for Ken & Gayle

[  ] Tosh - Add Neil to list

[  ] Emily - Print out identify areas where helicopters can land

[  ] Tosh - Email Chief to ask for Lyons Fire Fund contact to talk with about fiscal sponsor relationship/


Carryforward action items from previous meetings:

[  ] Joycelyn - Get the nonprofit application finalized - Will talk about this next meeting. There are a few of us who would like to keep trying to get this.

[  ] Johanna - Contacted Little Thompson Road Assoc - Contacted Keith Spencer and Don Hagan. Keith said he’d send an email out. Johanna will follow up.

[  ] Joycelyn - Will talk to area 11

[  ] Keith - Will talk to Dayton on Eagle Ridge

[  ] Emily - Article for paper


Discussion

Sara talked to Neil in Eagle Canyon


Neil is here. Welcome, Neil!


Sara wrote articles for Lyons Happenings and Lyons Email blast. Ariel ran the email blast. Thanks, Sara!


Emily gave Tosh contacts for Lyons Fire Fund and he emailed them, but received no reply. Tosh will next email the Chief and ask for other contacts.


CPR and First Aid poll and details - Everyone should submit the doodle poll by Apr 2nd picking the dates that work.


Lyons Siren Test, Mon, Apr 3, 7p. People can either call Tosh on MURS 5 or email him at toshen@toshen.com


ID cards - Lyons Fire is getting state issued ID cards. Chief wants to know if LP should get those cards. Or we might get neighborhood Lyons Prepared Member cards.


Staging areas - Emily has invited the chief and asst chief to come to one of our meetings to talk to us about what they mean about by staging areas and how we should define them.

Meeting notes - Feb 21, 2017

posted Feb 23, 2017, 9:58 AM by Toshen Golias

Agenda 

  1. Identify coverage holes.

  2. Decide how to identify staging areas.

  3. Future radio test.

  4. Update annual action items.

  5. Write agreement for Lyons Fire Fund re: being a fiscal sponsor.


Next meeting: Tue, Mar 21, 2017, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p   

Upcoming meetings:

  • Tue, Apr 18, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

  • Tue, May 16, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

Minutes

Attendees

Tosh, Keith, Gayle, Linda, Emily, Bryan, Sara, Joycelyn, Johanna, Aaron

Action items

New actions items from current meeting:

[  ] Joycelyn - Get the nonprofit application finalized

[  ] Johanna - Contact Little Thompson Road Assoc

[  ] Joycelyn - Will talk to area 11

[  ] Sara - Will talk to Neil in Eagle Canyon

[  ] Keith - Will talk to Dayton on Eagle Ridge

[  ] Emily - Article for paper

[  ] Sara - Article for Lyons Happenings and Lyons Email blast

[  ] Emily - Email Tosh contacts for Lyons Fire Fund

[  ] Tosh - Connect with Lyons Fire Fund about fiscal sponsor relationship


Discussion

  • Identify coverage holes:

    • 5) Stone Canyon: We should split this into 2 neighborhoods: Stone Canyon and Eagle Ridge (Dayton?)

    • 7-1) South St Vrain and CR 69

    • 7-2) Hwy southwest of Old St Vrain Rd

    • 8) Eastern Corridor - N. Foothills/Ute Hwy

    • 10-1) Beech Hill Valley

    • 10-2) Buster Ranch & Sunship (Johanna?)

    • 10-3) Lonestar

    • 11) X Bar 7 and Blue Mtn Trail (talk to Blue Mtn and Little Thompson road associations?)

    • 13) Hwy 36 west of Blue Mtn Rd

    • 14) Indian Lookout Rd, River Bend, and Planet Bluegrass

    • 15) Eagle Canyon and Grover Drive

    • Steering committee members should commit to radio training and annual exercise, and try to attend monthly meetings.

  • Rename staging areas to Neighborhood assembly points

    • Invite the fire chief or asst fire chief to come to a future meeting to talk about neighborhood assembly points.

  • Handed out portable antennas for the toughest neighborhoods.

    • Schedule a radio test.

    • First test: Thu, Feb 23rd, 7p

    • Second test: Sun, Mar 5th, 7p

  • 2017 Action Items

    • We accomplished our 2016 goals:

      • Implement citizen radio program

      • Increase coverage throughout the district

      • Increase visibility to LFPD District residents

      • Begin education program

    • Develop volunteer expectations document

    • Enhance our community relationships through trying to fill our gap areas

    • Hold three community outreach events

    • Improve our radio capabilities


Meeting notes - Jan 17, 2017

posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:24 AM by Lyons Prepared   [ updated Jan 18, 2017, 9:25 AM ]

Agenda 

  1. Ken Feldman: Banner

  2. Emily / Joycelyn: structure and requirements


Next meeting: Tue, Feb 21, 2017, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p   

Upcoming meetings:

  • Tue, Mar 21, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

  • Tue, Apr 18, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

Minutes

Attendees

Ken, Gayle, Linda, Johanna Zeh (Sunship), Frank, Emily, Bryan, Aaron, Tosh, Jenni

Action items

Outstanding action items from previous meetings:

[  ] Emily - Review process for preferred staging areas for evacuations, getting information (Emily will discuss with Fire District). [The Chief and Emily need to get clearer about what they mean by a staging area.]

[  ] Emily - Talk to Lyons Fire Fund about being a fiscal sponsor for grants. [Emily: Lyons Fire Foundation is willing to do this for us; we’ll need to write an agreement with them about who’ll do what.]


New actions items from current meeting:

[  ] Joycelyn - Get the nonprofit application finalized.


Discussion

Ken and Gayle showed us the beautiful new banner. $115.

Led to a discussion about finances.

  • We need to figure out how to raise the money to pay for it.

  • Any time we want to buy something, we need to know how to pay for it before we move ahead.

  • Eventually, we’ll have a nonprofit structure and officers, which will help us apply for grants.

  • Emily and Joycelyn are co-chairs, Keith will be treasurer, Tosh will be secretary.

  • We can talk to the Community Foundation, to the Town of Lyons, and United Way Resiliency about grants.


Goals for 2017:

  • Communications with residents. Outreach events. Newspaper articles, Facebook posts. Offer trainings? We can ride of the coat tails of the OEM and BoCo Strong.

  • BoCo Strong has funded a resiliency effort with Longmont for outreach to the Hispanic community, and Martha, the person who will run that initiative, also intends to include the Lyons Hispanic community.

  • Continue to expand the radio network into more neighborhoods. Recruitment.

  • Having a radio means participating in training and attending at least some steering committee meetings, some level of responsibility.

  • Run another test/training scenario.

  • This is a long term effort.

  • We don’t need to be perfect, but we need to keep trying.

  • Have a scenario by next fall, September or October. Emily will design it.

  • Identify the scenario, and then identify how we’re going to do it.

  • Create another emergency preparedness pamphlet, perhaps related to a winter-type disaster event.

  • The OEM is doing an exercise in April. Could we be observers?

  • Mapping our radio capability.

  • Updating our base layer map.


Meeting notes - Nov 15, 2016

posted Nov 16, 2016, 1:37 PM by Lyons Prepared

Agenda

Carry forward from previous meeting:

  • Discuss items for which we can search for donor companies.

  • Discuss how many radios we need in neighborhoods and how we organize communications within neighborhoods (especially bigger ones).

  • Discuss contacting 911 based on Bryan’s experience.

New items:

  • Emily: Exercise debrief

  • We’re a nonprofit! Bank account opened.

  • Keith: MURS radio GO kit.

  • Frank: Call script.


Next meeting: Tue, Jan 17, 2017, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p   

Upcoming meetings:

  • No meeting in Dec

  • Tue, Feb 21, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

  • Tue, Mar 21, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

Minutes

Attendees

Emily, Aaron, Jan Vermillion, Greg Stone (Stone Canyon), Keith, Sara, Tosh, Linda, Frank, Bryan

Action items

New actions items from current meeting:

[  ] Emily - Article about exercise for newspaper

[  ] Tosh - Send neighborhood after-action report to everyone

[  ] Aaron - Continue to follow-up about high-water project and report back.


Outstanding action items from previous meetings:

[ x ] Joycelyn - Send out electronic version of insurance pamphlet. [PDFs are in file locker on website.]

[ x ] Joycelyn - Kick off the process to register name and become a nonprofit. Open a checking account. [We are officially a nonprofit. PDF stored in Lyons Prepared Google Drive. Checking account opened. Jocelyn will take that to bank to open an account and share details for becoming signers with Emily and Keith.]

[ x ] Ken - Organize banner. [Ken has contacted the banner guy and will get him the banner order this week.]

[ x ] Joycelyn - Sent the size of the banner to Ken. [Presuming this is done since Ken is moving forward with banner.]

[ x ] Aaron - Talk to town about High Water Mark Initiative before Nov mtg. [Mentioned it at the meeting. Victoria says they’re doing that already and will coordinate with us about it.]

[ x ] Frank - Devise a checklist/script for callers to use in an emergency. [Emergency call script for review:]



[  ] Emily - Review process for preferred staging areas for evacuations, getting information (Emily will discuss with Fire District). [The Chief and Emily need to get clearer about what they mean by a staging area.]

[ x ] Sara - Talk to Chamber of Commerce about getting LP flyers into new resident packets. [Chamber doesn’t do new resident packets at this time.]

[  ] Emily - Talk to Lyons Fire Fund about being a fiscal sponsor for grants. [Emily: Lyons Fire Foundation is willing to do this for us; we’ll need to write an agreement with them about who’ll do what.]

Discussion

Items from donor companies - this would be POC kits. Maps, flashlight, Lyons Prepared signs.

  • Linda - AEDs? Emily: not yet because it’s a big maintenance issue (batteries and pads need to be exchanged every couple of years).

  • Paper maps would be a good first step. Should print them on water resistant paper. Each POC should have own neighborhood and adjacent neighborhoods.

  • We should also identify neighborhood staging areas.

  • Do a training about how to identify coordinates (GPS) via smart phones.


Discuss how many radios we should have in each neighborhood. People who have radios may have people coming to their homes to ask questions in an emergency.

  • We might be able to use Walkie Talkie radios within our neighborhoods. Have one on each block. Chief agrees with that.

  • For MURS radios, we should think about it strategically. They are relatively expensive. We could consider about how neighborhoods are split up geographically.

  • Each neighborhood should think about what the minimum strategic requirements for their neighborhood should be and what the maximum nice-to-have scenario would be.


We got our nonprofit status. But that’s not the same as tax exempt (for donations). Joycelyn will open a checking account and then will ask Emily and Keith to get set up as signers.


Contacting 911 - when the Dakota Ridge fire happened, the call to 911 was challenging because of electrical issues. But also depends on which dispatch center your call gets routed to. Some of them will know which fire district you’re in, some may not, especially if the call is coming in from a cell phone (may be routed through different cell towers). IT’S REALLY IMPORTANT to tell the dispatcher what your address is and that you’re in the Lyons Fire Protection District.


Script for callers:

  • See Frank’s list of questions above. These are questions that everyone (or their kids or their babysitters, etc.) should be prepared to answer when they call 911.

  • It’s important to identify that we’re in Lyons Fire Protection District.

  • Based on our in-meeting feedback, Frank will revise this list and send it to everyone. Please take time to fill out the revised list and then send your feedback to Frank.


Exercise debrief:

  • Thank you to everyone who attended.

  • The antennas make a difference. We should discuss this at a future meeting.

  • We should have an article about this in the paper.


Keith MURS radio Go kit:

  • Radio

  • AA battery shell

  • Extra batteries

  • MURS wallet card

  • Adapter for mag mount car antenna (from ham radio.com: Comet HM05JSJ)

  • Notepad and pen

  • All in a tough canvas bag from Adventure Tool Company in Nederland. He uses the medium size with orange lining.


Aaron spoke to the town board about high-water mark project.


Aaron spoke to town hall and they’re going to add our brochures to their rack of info.

Successful joint training exercise!

posted Nov 16, 2016, 1:27 PM by Lyons Prepared   [ updated Nov 16, 2016, 4:37 PM ]

On Saturday morning, we ran a joint test scenario between Lyons Prepared and the Lyons Fire Protection District. Participants included about a dozen Lyons Prepared volunteers at three locations (Lyons Park Estates, Town North, and Spring Gulch), ten firefighters, including Chief Hoffman and Emily Gubler, and several volunteer "actors."

What you need to know

Before I begin describing the actual test, I want to share two things we learned that are areas for improvement for our neighborhoods. This is something that neighborhood volunteers can help solve as a points of contact on your street.
  1. Most importantly, it would be good to know, as well as we can, who our most vulnerable neighbors are. That way, in a real emergency, we'll know who to check in with to see how they are faring. Or, if we can't check in on them ourselves, we can relay a request to emergency services to ask them to arrange for someone to check in on our vulnerable neighbors.
  2. It also would be good to know who in our neighborhood has a generator. So the next time you have a chance to chat with your immediate neighbors, please ask them about that. It will be great if we can create a list on a street-by-street basis of who has generators. 
The scenario we tested

A major snowstorm has hit Lyons. There is five feet of snow on the ground, trees and power lines are down, power is out, there are no plowed roads locally, a lot more snow is in the forecast for the next three days, and all normal channels of communication are disrupted.

Our volunteer "actors" actually dressed up in blizzard clothing and dropped in unexpected at the three locations to report incidents ranging from a person who was running out of oxygen to a power pole transformer fire, an overturned truck, a senior citizen who slipped on the ice and severely broke his leg, a fire alarm going off in a home, a roof collapse, a person lost in the blizzard, and so on.

The test scenario was organized and fully scripted by Emily Gubler, a volunteer firefighter and the co-chair of our Lyons Prepared Steering Committee, and Chief Hoffman. The rest of us had no idea what to expect other than some kind of test.

In addition, Joycelyn Fankhouser, who is our new co-chair of the Lyons Prepared Steering Committee (and who works as the flood recovery coordinator for the Boulder County Department of Housing and Human Services), was also an actor, playing the role of the fire district's liaison at the Boulder County Office of Emergency Management.

The Lyons Prepared response

Those of us in Lyons Prepared spent our time communicating with dispatch over our MURS radios, updating them on the status of our neighborhoods and our needs, and reporting the incidents that the actors who visited us told us about. We reported to the best of our ability how many generators we have in our neighborhood, what our fuel, water, and food situation needs would be for the next three days, and who our vulnerable neighbors are who might need assistance.

The Lyons Prepared volunteers at the three locations in the Lyons Park Estates, Spring Gulch, and Town North neighborhoods were joined by volunteers from the Stone Canyon, Dakota Ridge, Town South, Town West, Apple Valley, Longmont Dam, and X-Bar 7 neighborhoods.

The outcome

The actual test lasted about 90 minutes and helped us to identify both our strengths and weaknesses. As you can imagine, things got very chaotic with lots of incidents being reported from three different neighborhoods at a very rapid pace.

Our fire protection district team was amazing! They quickly split up into teams, including two people who formed an incident communications center, an incident commander and assistant who were coordinating the response, and a field commander and team who were prioritizing the response. No matter how chaotic things got, they maintained--at least to those of us in the neighborhoods--a calm and professional demeanor, dealing with each of our crises efficiently and effectively.

A couple of us who are amateur radio operators also conducted a side test at the same time, reaching out by ham radio to Boulder County Amateur Radio Emergency Services (BCARES). During real emergencies, the BCARES team has a station in the Boulder County Emergency Operations Center (EOC), where they assist with communications. We were able to successfully connect with George Weber, the president of BCARES, which means that if it had been a real emergency, we would've been able to ask BCARES to relay our emergency requests to the EOC, where the Office of Emergency Management would be operating.

The debriefing

Afterwards, we all had a two-hour debriefing at Fire Station #1, where we enjoyed a delicious lunch from Smokin' Daves while we each shared what went well and what needed improvement.

We did run into some communications challenges, especially with the Spring Gulch neighborhood, where the Lyons Prepared volunteers had to go outside in order to communicate with a fire district volunteer who had driven her vehicle from Fire Station #2 to a different location in order to be able use her in-vehicle radio to relay messages back and forth between Spring Gulch and the incident communications center at Fire Station #1. In real life, it would not have been easy to stand outside in a major blizzard operating a radio, and it would've been challenging for the fire district volunteer to drive through five feet of snow to try to find a better radio relay position.

One thing that went really well is that I have an external antenna that I can quickly put up and connect to my MURS handheld radio, and that improved transmission and reception so much that we're going to explore how we can get more external antennas distributed to Lyons Prepared volunteers who have MURS radios. That might also help solve the Spring Gulch communication challenge.

We also learned a lot of smaller but important things, such as how to most effectively share information with the dispatchers. For example, it's really important to speak slowly when sharing addresses.

And we learned about triaging, which helps those of us in the neighborhoods to better understand how the firefighters prioritize their response. For example, we might think that a transformer on fire across the street from us is a really big deal, but when there's five feet of snow and a low likelihood that the fire will spread, that's certainly not as important as someone whose life is in danger, for example, a senior citizen who has a severely broken leg or another person who is running out of oxygen. Great lesson! As the Brits say: Keep Calm and Carry On!

Kudos to the Lyons Fire Protection District personnel!

I am so grateful to all of the people in the Lyons Fire Protection District who do so much work and training to keep us all safer.  And I find it such a relief to know that if we ever get hit with another event like the flood, we'll have a much better communication strategy in place. 

More info about Lyons Prepared


Meeting notes - Oct 18, 2016

posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:56 PM by Lyons Prepared

Agenda

  1. Update on Chairperson position.

  2. Follow up on the suggestions for what the banner should have on it, size, etc.

  3. Discuss items for which we can search for donor companies.

  4. Talk about a possible problem with the channels that are programmed into the new radios. On two of the radios we've looked at, it appears that some channels are missing in Group 2.

  5. High Water Mark initiative.


Next meeting: Tue, Nov 15, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p   

Upcoming meetings:

  • No meeting in Dec

  • Tue, Jan 17, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

  • Tue, Feb 21, Fire Station #1, 6:30p - 8p

Minutes

Attendees

Jane Lopez, Aaron, Ken, Sara, Tosh, Keith, Deirdre, Joycelyn, Bryan

Action items

Outstanding action items from the September 20th meeting:

[  ] Frank - Devise a checklist/script for callers to use in an emergency

[  ] Emily - Review process for preferred staging areas for evacuations, getting information (Emily will discuss with Fire District). [Emily: still pending]

[  ] Sara - Research grants available through Longmont Community Foundation

[Sara: They have grant available to anyone in the Longmont area. Due Dec 2nd. Sara will read the application and report back.]

Outstanding action items from the August 16th meeting:

[ x ] Joycelyn - Put together a pamphlet that addresses having enough house insurance. [Jocelyn: Finished]

[  ] Sara - Talk to Chamber of Commerce about getting LP flyers into new resident packets. [Sara: Carry forward]

[ x ] Aaron - Talk to Library about getting LP flyers into their rack. [Aaron: They have a table, but may not be effective. Town hall has a rack that might be better. He will send the PDF to town hall. They will print.]

[  ] Emily - Talk to Lyons Fire Fund about being a fiscal sponsor for grants. [Emily: Lyons Fire Foundation is willing to do this for us; we’ll need to write an agreement with them about who’ll do what.]

[ x ] Aaron - Research Lyons Community Foundation grant. [Aaron: Too late this year so we need to plan for next year]

[  ] Emily - Look into registering name and nonprofit. [Emily: Jocelyn has experience and knowledge about this and will be helping it move forward.]

[ x ] Emily & Aaron - If BOT meeting works, go to BOT on Mon, Aug 22, 7p to present about LP.  [Emily: It went well and the Town said they were available to help as we need it.]


New actions items from current meeting:

[  ] Joycelyn - Send out electronic version of insurance pamphlet.

[  ] Joycelyn - Kick off the process to register name and become a nonprofit. Open a checking account.

[  ] Ken - Organize banner.

[  ] Joycelyn - Sent the size of the banner to Ken.

[ x ] Tosh - Send logo to Ken for banner.

[  ] Aaron - Talk to town about High Water Mark Initiative before Nov mtg.


Next meeting agenda items:

  • Discuss items for which we can search for donor companies.

  • Discuss how many radios we need in neighborhoods and how we organize communications within neighborhoods (especially bigger ones).

  • Discuss contacting 911 based on Bryan’s experience.

Discussion

Registering name and nonprofit. Minor annual fees. Need officers. Can make applying for a grant easier. If not a 501(c)(3), will need a fiscal sponsor (such as Lyons Fire Fund). Joycelyn: Chair, Emily: Vice chair; Tosh: Secretary; Keith: Treasurer.


Update of chair position. Joycelyn and Emily will be co-chairs.


Banner. Logo, Lyons Prepared, tag line, and web address.


High Water Mark initiative:

From Jane Lopez <lopezjm@co.larimer.co.us>, Larimer Connects ~ Project Mgr, 970-217-4101,

re: FEMA's High Water Mark Initiative. In a nutshell it is (from the fact sheet attached):


"A community based awareness program that increases local communities’ awareness of flood risk and encourages action to mitigate that risk. As part of the project, communities post HWM signs in prominent places, hold a high-profile launch event to unveil the signs, conduct ongoing education to build local awareness of flood risk, and complete mitigation actions to build community resilience against future flooding. "


There have now been two meetings, led by Lori Hodges, to garner support, organize and start to reach out to communities that are interested in participating.


So, wondering if this could be a joint effort between LTWC and LP?  Each community will be given $2000 to assist in the effort, as well as support in design and sign production.  


The participating community responsibility will be as follows:

1) Finding a location for the sign (hopefully with high visibility).

2) Deciding on number of signs.

3) Installing the sign (particularly critical if sign is going to be on private property).

4) Holding some kind of sign dedication "event".


It could be something where we can go to the town and champion it. Jane would need commitment by early Jan.

Could be something that the Parks dept would be interested in (LaVern Johnson park?).

Would need to have a dedication ceremony.

Could possibly partner with St Vrain Creek Coalition.


Meeting Notes-9/20/16

posted Sep 27, 2016, 9:42 AM by Sara Erickson

Attendees: Frank, Deidre, Emily, Sara, Aaron, Brian, Jenny

Observing was Alex Zerio-CU graduate student in Civil Systems and Disaster Relief and Recovery. Alex is completing research methods coursework. He learned about LP through the town website. He is interested in assisting LP on a project.

Pamphlets-Aaron reported that LP pamphlets can be put on tables at Town Hall and the library. The town will pay for printing of color flyers for display

LP and Fire District Joint November Exercise-Emily reported on exercise which will take place on November 5, 2016 from 10:00-11:30 a.m. Focus will be on Spring Gulch, Lyons Park Estates and North of Main. Frank, Sara, Brian , Tosh, Deidre and Aaron are planning to participate. Alex will participate as an observer/judge. Jenny is unable to attend, but will review plan with Emily

Radios-Emily reported that 4 new radios have been purchased and donated by Larimer County. 3 will be distributed to Keith (Stone Canyon), Deirdre and Brian. Jamie Freel of Longmont Dam Rd. may program his radio to our frequency.

Wildfire at Brian's property-Brian gave a report on the fire that occurred yesterday. Some of his lessons learned were:

-911 first (before MURS radios)

-If emergency allows, caller should give additional route details e.g. major landmarks, intersections

-caller should identify if they are calling their own emergency or one that is close by

-there are known dispatch issues in mountain areas (e.g. areas that are in Larimer County, but Lyons Fire District is actually closer)

-keep a corded phone or land line

-If safety is an issue, determine if Larimer or Boulder County will respond

-Residents in Brian's area did not know that Larimer was considering a pre-evacuation alert. Communication with residents needs to improve

-LETA calls were made

-Reporting outage to Poudre Valley power needs improvement (especially in an emergency)

ACTION ITEM: Frank will devise a checklist/script for callers to use in an emergency

-Communicate with neighbors by texting; take a communication devise with you when you leave the house

-Brian will speak to his road association regarding LP

-review process for preferred staging areas for evacuations, getting information (Emily will discuss with Fire District)

Larimer Connects: Jane Lopez has been hired as coordinator
 
Purchase of More Radios: Newer radios are improved (have a screen), more expensive. Tax Credit is available to those who purchase.

New Chairperson: Joycelyn Fankhouser will serve as the new Chair. Emily will remain as a board member.

ACTION ITEM: Sara will research grants available through Longmont Community Foundation

NEXT MEETING: 10/18/16 at 6:30 p.m. Emily will be unable to attend.

1-10 of 20